There have been a series of suicide reports in the media, as well as suicidal attempts. Apparently, something is wrong somewhere and people think suicide is the only solution.
Get It Right Show on Youth Shades TV invited some guests to discuss suicide including the definition, factors that lead to it, etc. We also talked to people on the street to hear their opinions as well. Some of the facts we gathered included:
- Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for 15 to 24 year-olds and 2nd for 25 to 35 year-olds.
- Each Suicide intimately affects at least 6 other people.
- Males make upto 79% of all suicides, while women are more prone to having suicidal thoughts.
- There are 2 times as many deaths due to suicide than HIV/AIDS.
- Individuals with a family history of suicide are more vulnerable to becoming victims of suicide.
- September 10 is World Suicide Prevention Day.
- Monday appears to be the day on which most suicides occur.
- On average, 1 person commits suicide every 16.2 minutes.
- Depression that is untreated, undiagnosed, or ineffectively treated is the number 1 cause of suicide.
- More than 800,000 people around the world die by suicide each year.
Furthermore, we disussed why people think that suicide is the final solution to their problems, ways to prevent suicide, etc.