Native to the Cross River and Akwa Ibom States of Nigeria, Ekpang Nkwukwo is one of the Nigerian cocoyam recipes. It can be eaten with or without cutlery; not only do I prefer the latter, but I also take care of this business on the floor. This is one food you crave for, but thoughts of when you’ll finish cooking it scare you. Being a favorite dish of mine, the amount of time spent in preparing Ekpang Nkwukwo is actually worth it.
Ingredients for Ekpang Nkwukwo
- 500g Cocoyam
- 250g Water Yam
- Vegetables: Cocoyam leaves and Scent leaves
- Palm oil
- 300g shelled or 500g unshelled periwinkles
- Beef (optional)
- Dried Fish
- Pepper & Salt to taste
Note: Quantities of ingredients depend on the quantity of Ekpang Nkwukwo that you intend to cook.
Before you cook Ekpang Nkwukwo
- Rinse the beef and dry fish
- Cook the beef with seasoning till done.
- Peel, wash and grate the cocoyam and water yam; mix both together and set aside.
- Prepare the pot by rubbing a generous amount of red palm oil on the insides of the pot.
- Rinse the tender cocoyam leaves and tear into medium pieces.
- Wash the Pumpkin leaves and Scent leaves, cut them and set aside.
- Blend the pepper and crayfish and set aside.
- Wash the shelled or unshelled periwinkles.
- Boil reasonable amount of water
Cooking directions for Ekpang Nkwukwo
- If you will be using shelled periwinkles, place these at the base of the well-oiled pot.
- Scoop a small quantity of the mixed grated cocoyam and wateryam into a piece of the torn cocoyam leaf, wrap and place in the pot. Repeat this procedure till all the mixed grated cocoyam and wateryam are exhausted.
- Add the pepper, crayfish, unshelled periwinkle, dried fish, salt, onions and beef.
- Add hot water to the level of the pot contents and set to cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- Add the scent leaves and a generous amount of palm oil.
- Stir gently and cook for extra 5 minutes.
- Put down the pot. Your Ekpang Nkwukwo is ready to be served.
This is an excerpt from Youth Shades Magazine October 2017 Issue. Click here to get your copy for free.