- Mosquitoes have killed more humans than all the wars in history.
- A cockroach will live nine days without its head before it starves to death.
- Silent and “Listen” are spelled with the same letters.
- On Mars, sunsets are blue.
- Earth has lost 50% of its wildlife in the past 40 years.
- Bill Gates bought ‘Codex Leicester’, one of Leonardo Di Vinci’s scientific journals for $30.8 million.
- ‘A la recherche du temps perdu’ by Marcel Proust is the longest book in the world at 9,609,000 characters. Translated into Remembers of Things Past, the book tells the story of the narrator’s experiences growing up.
- Roald Dahl served in the Royal Air Force during World War II and also tested chocolates for Cadbury’s while he was at school. (I guess we know where his inspiration for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory came from).
- Arachnophobia – The fear of spiders, affects women four times more than men.
- Ophidiophobia – The fear of snakes.
- Acrophobia – The fear of heights.
- Agoraphobia – The fear of open or crowded spaces.
- Cynophobia – The fear of dogs. This includes everything from small Poodles to large Great Danes.
- Astraphobia – The fear of thunder/lightning AKA Brontophobia, Tonitrophobia, Ceraunophobia.
- Claustrophobia – The fear of small spaces like elevators, small rooms and other enclosed spaces.
- Mysophobia – The fear of germs. It is also rightly termed as Germophobia or Bacterophobia.
BRAIN TEASERS (find answers below)
- Who is bigger: Mr. Bigger, Mrs. Bigger, or their baby?
- Mike is a butcher. He is 5’10” tall. What does he weigh?
- A farmer has 17 sheep and all but nine die. How many are left?
- How far can a rabbit run into the woods?
- In a year, there are 12 months. Seven months have 31 days. How many months have 28 days?
- I do not have any special powers, but I can predict the score of any football game before it begins. How can I do this?
- You are driving a bus. At the first stop, two women get on. The second stop, three men get on and one woman gets off. At the third stop, three kids and their mom get on, and a man gets off. The bus is grey, and it is raining outside. What color is the bus driver’s hair?
- The baby, because he is a little bigger.
- Halfway. After that, he is running out of the woods.
- They all do.
- Well, the score before any football game is always zero to zero!
- Whatever color your hair is! Remember, you are the bus driver!
This is an excerpt from Youth Shades Magazine October 2017 Issue. Click here to get your copy for free.