Get Amazing Stories

Get great contents delivered straight to your inbox , just a click away, Sign Up Now.
Email address

Fashion’s sanctity in Christianity: Can Fashion And Christianity Co-Exist? by YakekponoAbasi Adams

“What you wear is how you present yourself to the world, especially today when human contacts go so fast. Fashion is instant language.” – Miuccia Prada.

 Most of the time, women come to our minds when we hear ‘fashion’. For this purpose, 80% of this article is about women and fashion. The remaining 20% is about men.

 It’s all about your heart, right? Who cares if your dress is years outdated and shabby? Why should it bother you if your hair and nails are untidy? It should be nobody’s business if you expose your cleavage and wear miniskirts on the street. It doesn’t matter if you sag and your underwear is exposed, afterall that’s what is in vogue. As long as you know Christ deep in your heart, it’s all good. Unfortunately, this is what some people think.

 God was very particular about the quality and cleanliness of the priest’s garments (Exodus 28:2).

 There’s also the virtuous woman who is not only clothed in “strength and dignity,” but her clothes are “well-made and elegant” as well (Proverbs 31: 22, 25).

 In many circles, fashion has come to symbolize vanity, materialism and extravagance. I read this somewhere(don’t ask me where; I’ve forgotten): “most people spend money they don’t have to buy things they don’t need to please people they don’t like”. Or in some cases, people they like. You know that feeling of wanting to fit in? You’ve seen two or more people wearing it and you want to wear it also. Some people even go as far as borrowing money just to look good. These people would rather have clothes and shoes to wear than have food to eat!

“Fashion is not just beauty, it is about good attitude” – Adriana Lima

 Those who have strict parents have resorted to dressing decently at home, (especially when going to church) and indecently in school or any other place their parents are not around. They have double or more identities. Have you ever seen a friend somewhere and you didn’t recognize him/her because of the dressing? Right.

 There is one biblical principle that sums up all of God’s guidelines pertaining to appearance ( 1 Corinthians 6 : 19 ). However, the ways in which we demonstrate “ the body is a temple ” thing has caused some serious conflict.

 Theologists have given their own explanation of how they understand the Bible when it comes to fashion. Church members practice what is preached to them in their churches. There’s the issue of prohibition against wearing the opposite sex’s clothing (Deutronomy 22 : 5 ). Some Christians consider it unacceptable for a woman to wear trousers because it is a man’s clothing. Other Christians argue that trousers are gender – based.

 A more current disagreement has developed over the issue of pop culture icons ’ and musicians ’ names and likenesses printed on clothing. To some Christians, wearing a Coldplay shirt amounts to idolatry and or even paganism, but to others it’s a mere “Hey, this is my favorite band and I am letting y’all know! ”

 Tattoos and piercings are also serious topics of debates. Most guys pierce their ears, most ladies open 3 or more holes on their ears while some pierce their tongues. To them, it’s a way of adoring their bodies. To others, it is a turn-off.

 “I dress for the image. Not for myself. Not for the public. Not for fashion. Not for men.” – Marlene Dietrich

 These two passages ( 1 Timothy 2 : 9 – 10 and 1 Peter 3 : 2 – 5 ) are interpreted by some Christians as a sermon against jewelry, weavons/braids, make-up and fashion. To others, the passages make the point that a person’s true beauty comes from within and is properly expressed through good deeds, rather than showy clothing and jewelry. For them, the advice is simply to dress modestly and in good taste.

 But engaging in argument rarely achieves anything productive in the quest to practically reconcile fashion and Christianity within the context of modern living. It gets complicated. It’s conservatism versus liberalism, and there is no easy answer.

 Ha! I know you are wondering what my own opinion is. Well, here it is. Let us be fashionable without sacrificing our modesty and dignity. Always remember, you’ll be addressed by what you wear.

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Youth Shades

Subscribe now for more exciting stories, poetry, articles, arts & skills
Email address
Secure and Spam free...